Environment and Sustainability
The company has recently subscribed to an environmental sustainability program, “Grow Me The Money” (GMTM), which was developed in partnership with the Victorian Employers’ Chamber of Commerce and Industry and Environment Protection Authority Victoria under a Sustainability Covenant.
GMTM is a twelve month program designed to reduce Skill Hire’s environmental impact and embed a culture of sustainability within our organisation. The program assists in measuring, monitoring and managing our resource use, engaging with staff and developing environmental strategies.
The program follows a proven and successful methodology that will achieve the following outcomes:
- A review of the company’s existing sustainability practices.
- Formation of a staff “Green Team” to help engage the participation of all employees and lead project activities.
- Preparation of a resource baseline for utility usage to establish a benchmark for improvement.
- Development of an Action Plan to implement change.
- Development of an environmental policy and identifying any barriers to its successful implementation.
- Communication with suppliers in endeavouring to engage them in Skill Hire’s journey to sustainability.
- Development of a green purchasing policy.
- Completion of Action Plan tasks.
- Strategies for ongoing activities to maintain the company’s sustainability post program completion.
Amongst a number of initiatives, Skill Hire has revised its staff travel policy in an effort to reduce our carbon footprint. Travel outside the designated operational region must be approved by a member of the executive team and we have a focus on economy of scale when travelling by vehicle.
The company has also introduced web conferencing facilities to lessen the need for management and staff to undertake travel to attend meetings.
Through both policies, the company’s intention is to eliminate unnecessary travel and reduce greenhouse gas emissions.